The Forrest Theatre is located at 1114 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19107.
The theatre was built in 1927 at the cost of $2 million, and was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp; it was named after the 19th century actor Edwin Forrest, who was born in Philadelphia, and owned and lived in the Edwin Forrest House. The opening performance was The Red Robe in 1928. A renovation of the theatre was undertaken in 1997, including redecoration and the addition of wheelchair-accessible restrooms.
Over the years, the Forrest Theatre has been a proving ground for various Broadway plays and musicals, serving as the location for previews of these productions. Some of the shows that played at the Forrest prior to moving to Broadway include The Women (1936), The Music Man (1957), Funny Girl (1963), Golden Rainbow (1967) and Chicago (1975)
Theatre is not completely wheelchair accessible. There are no steps into the theatre from the sidewalk, nor an elevator or escalator inside. There is an accessibe water fountain and restroom on the main level. Please be advised that where there are steps either into or within the theatre, we are unable to provide assistance.
Accessibility by Seating Section
Orchestra Location: Seating is accessible to all parts of the Orchestra without steps. There are no steps to the designated wheelchair seating location.
Mezzanine Location: Located on the 2nd Level, up 2 flights of stairs (30 steps). Please Note: The entrance to the 2nd Level is at the east end of the Grand Foyer.
Rear Mezzanine Location: Located on the 2nd Level, behind the Mezzanine. The upper rear Mezzanine landing has a rear exit which connects with Mezzanine exits in the theatre. There is a total of 66 steps.
Handrails: Available at the end of every stepped seat row in the Mezzanine.